Wednesday, December 21, 2011

4 useful, online (and free) Islamic studies resources


I thought I would share the links to 4 online Islamic studies resources that I have found to be quite useful in my personal studies. The first 2 are books that I own (and now also have on my hard-drive), the latter 2 I did not have before discovering them online, but have now also found a cozy place on my hard-drive:

Martin Lings', Muhammad - His Life Based On The Earliest Sources - this is my favorite biography of Muhammad, after Guillaume's English translation of Ibn Ishaq's, Sirat Rasul Allah, under the title - The Life of Muhammad (Oxford, 1955; 10th impression 1995).

Ahamd Von Denffer's, Ulam al-Qur'an - An Introduction to the Sciences of the Qur'an - though not as comprehensive as Abu Ammaar Yasir Qadhi's, An Introduction to the Sciences of the Qur'an (1999), it is a solid treatment, especially for those who are just beginning to explore this particular subject.

al-Tirmidhi's, Jami' al-Tirmidhi - this is one of the six major Sunni Hadith collections (I personally consider it to be the third most reliable after Shahih Bukhari and Shahih Muslim).

The Qur'anic Manuscripts - a good introduction to the early history of Qur'anic manuscripts; this pdf document seems to be related to THIS online article (I recommend Muhammad Mustafa al-Azami's, The History of the Qur'anic Text (2003) to those who can afford it).


ENJOY!!!


Grace and peace,

David

3 comments:

Ken said...

http://www.answeringmuslims.com/2011/12/movie-review-life-of-muhammad.html

This movie of Muhammad is based on Martin Ling's book. Unfortunately, they draw Muhammad's face and that will mean that most Muslims will not even watch it. Samuel Green makes some good points.

But it is done respectfully; it seems to me. Much better than some other cartoons out there.

If Muhammad was a real historical figure, who lived, why should they object to pictures of him?

It is funny to hear them all in Australian accents.

Thanks for the links. I am enjoying reading Ling's book - very helpful.

The film says that Muhammad and Khadijah got married in an "Ebionite Church" - never heard that one before. I looked and could not find that in Ling's book. But I haven't read it beyond the chapter on his marriage to Khadija yet, and I have been skimming fast.

Although the Hadith says that Waraqa Ben Naufal was a Christian who read and translated Hebrew, we don't exactly know what kind of a Christian he was, do we?

The Blogger Formerly Known As Lvka said...

Hey, Dave!

Want to hear a joke?

Do you know what the similarity between Orthodoxy and Coca-Cola is?

:-)

Iohannes said...

Good one, Lvka!